Re: reading symbols containing apostrophe

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: reading symbols containing apostrophe
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 14:23:32 +0100

On 05.01.2021 00:12, Tom Gillespie wrote:
In this instance I think the situation is worse than if the standard
said this was an error. In fact the standard doesn't say this is an
error at all, which would be better than the current situation.
Where nearly all other implementations will read 'a'b'c as three
separate symbols, Guile reads it as a single symbol, silently
diverging from the standard without warning (until something
comes crashing down as a result of the difference later).

Hmm, I'm looking at the R7RS-small BNF (haven't checked the other standards) and I think you're right.

The apostrophe is a token of its own, along with <identifier>, which I think would mean that 'foo'bar should be parsed as four tokens.

It might be worth taking this up with the devel mailing list then.

- Taylan