Re: build system for pure Guile library (was Re: Help making a GNU Guix

From: Adriano Peluso
Subject: Re: build system for pure Guile library (was Re: Help making a GNU Guix package for pure GNU Guile library)
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 19:31:27 +0100

Il giorno dom, 31/01/2021 alle 15.16 +0100, Zelphir Kaltstahl ha
scritto:

> However, if anyone told me a good reason to also use autotools to
> manage
> a build process of my code, and I can get it working and understand
> how
> to do it, then why not.

One good reason could be that your Guile based project wraps some C
library, like guile-git

In that case, if you want to support shipping your project to non guix
platforms, the services of autoconf (for testing if the C library is
available on that platform, in which version, if it has this and that
functionality) could be useful

And this goes not only with wrapping C libraries but also with
extensions

If your project doesn't deal with any C code, the reason to use the
autotools is for installing it in a way that it's available to all the
users on a Unix machine

And finally, it could help distributions in packaging it

These 2 points could be true for the Guile build system too, I don't
know

Hope this helps