[ANN] (potato make) - makefiles in scheme

From: Mike Gran
Subject: [ANN] (potato make) - makefiles in scheme
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 09:26:51 -0800

Hello All-

I wrote a pure scheme Guile library (potato make) that lets one write
makefiles in scheme.  The code lives at
https://github.com/spk121/potato-make.

If you are familiar with the cryptic makefile syntax, and with scheme
syntax, you may be able to decipher this makefile written in potato
make.  Here ':=' is variable assignment, ':' is a target rule and '->'
is a suffix rule.  The '~' syntax is a lazy concatenation operator
that passes its output as a string to the system() procedure.

  #!/usr/bin/env sh
  exec guile -s "$0" "$@"
  !#

  (use-modules (potato make))
  (initialize)

  (:= CC "gcc")
  (:= CFLAGS "-g -O2")

  (: "all" '("foo"))
  (: "foo" '("foo.o" "bar.o")
    (~ ($ CC) "-o" $@ $^))
  (-> ".c" ".o"
    (~ ($ CC) "-c" $<))

  (execute)

There is quite a bit of flexibility here.  You can write your recipes
in shell, in scheme, or in scheme that returns a string that gets
passed to the shell.

I'll probably rename the ':' syntax for the sake of SRFI-119 wisp
compatibility.  Translated to wisp, this really would look like a
dialect of makefile.

No official tarball yet. I'll do that soonish after I get better
coverage in the test suite.  I was just a bit proud of this silly
hack, and wanted to show it off.  Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Mike Gran