Re: C extensions

From: Tim Meehan
Subject: Re: C extensions
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 15:58:48 -0600

Hello Olivier, thanks!
Those functions helped, and now I know where in the source of Guile to look.

Is "inexact" the same thing as "floating point number" in Guile-speak?

Here is one of the functions in my extension - it returns a lognormal
variate. There are a bunch of things like this that could be added to
"random.c" - but I'm imagining that the only user of stuff like that might
be ... me ... anyhow:

Right now, it doesn't give really helpful errors when you give it a
negative standard deviation:
scheme@(guile-user)> (random:lognormal 0 -1)
$1 = #f

SCM_DEFINE (scm_random_lognormal, "random:lognormal", 2, 1, 0,
            (SCM _mu, SCM _sigma, SCM state),
            "Return an inexact real in a Log Normal distribution.\n"
            "\n"
            "@var{mu} - mean of the underlying normal distribution.\n"
            "@var{sigma} - standard deviation of the same.\n"
            "Optionally, a random @var{state} can be provided.\n"
            "See @code{seed->random-state}.")
#define FUNC_NAME s_scm_random_lognormal
{
  if (SCM_UNBNDP (state))
    state = SCM_VARIABLE_REF (scm_var_random_state);
  SCM_VALIDATE_RSTATE (1, state);

  if (scm_is_false (scm_positive_p (_sigma)))
    return SCM_BOOL_F; // I'd like to return some meaningful error here ...

  double mu = scm_to_double (_mu);
  double sigma = scm_to_double (_sigma);
  return scm_from_double (exp (mu + sigma*scm_c_normal01
(SCM_RSTATE(state))));
}
#undef FUNC_NAME