Re: Guix records

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix records
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 18:36:17 +0100

Hi,

Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions <guile-user@gnu.org>
skribis:

> In the module (guix records), there's some very nice syntax rule
> `define-record-type*` that allows very powerfull declarative style of
> records.  For example:
> (employee
>   (age  30)
>   (name "Foo")
>   (profession "Teacher"))
>
> I would like to use this feature in my software.  However, I don't want
> to have Guix as a dependency only for that.  For now, I've copied the
> content of (guix records) into (my-software records).  But this put
> burden of maitenance into my hands.

I think it’s a reasonable maintenance burden though, since it’s fairly
independent, it rarely changes, and you can always copy updated versions
from Guix when you want to.

That said, I agree it’s not ideal, and we should look towards making it
a standalone library.  I’m a bit reluctant to doing that just yet
because it’s convenient in Guix to be able to adjust it when we need it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.