Re: [EXT] Guile AWS

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [EXT] Guile AWS
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 18:19:13 +0200

Thompson, David <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> Years ago I took the same approach to generate a Guile API for
> CloudFormation (an unreleased experiment) and was hoping that someone
> would do the same for the entire AWS API.

Your CloudFormation experiment was indeed the spark that ignited the
fire.  Guile AWS isn’t based on your code, but I learned a lot from
looking at it a few years back, and it planted the seed to implement
Guile AWS using the same approach.

> As far as error handling goes, the official AWS SDK for NodeJS may be
> something to study. It uses asyncs (which is a syntax over simple
> promises) to allow for threading together multiple API requests
> together and handle errors without too much headache. Most of the time
> I use the Ruby SDK, less often the Python SDK (boto3), and in both you
> just have to catch exceptions or inspect responses yourself, so if
> that's what you have to do with the guile-aws for the time being then
> you're still on par with several official SDKs.  Those SDKs don't do
> anything magical with the responses, either, so I consider being given
> a big ol' deserialized json/xml response in the form of a compound
> s-exp to be just fine.

Ah, that’s good to know.  Still, I think at the very least guile-aws
ought to present a unified data structure — either an alist, a JSON
expression, or some SXML, but not a different structure dependent on
whatever the API uses internally.

--
Ricardo