Re: Demanding Interoperability to Strengthen the Free (Libre) Web: Intro

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: Demanding Interoperability to Strengthen the Free (Libre) Web: Introducing DISFLUID
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 02:27:35 -0700

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 1:20 AM Vivien Kraus <vivien@planete-kraus.eu> wrote:

> Hello Aleix !

Hi!

> Le dimanche 01 août 2021 à 23:27 -0700, Aleix Conchillo Flaqué a
> écrit :
> > Unfortunately guile-json doesn't follow srfi-180 api (it was created
> > much sooner), but regarding alists' keys it can support both symbols
> > and strings. So you can do (scm->json '((foo . "bar"))) or (scm->json
> > '(("foo" . "bar"))) and both would work the same.
>
> Exactly! The problem is in the other way around, json->scm. By default,
> I get stringly-keyed objects, so I add another pass to convert them to
> symbolicly-keyed objects.

Oh, duh! I see what you mean now. I'm on vacation and it seems my brain is
too :-) (it might always be...). Maybe I could add a flag to json->scm to
choose between the two.

> By the way, a long time ago I also worked on guile-jwt (
> > https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-jwt) which is SUPER basic
> > compared to what you've done. I was planning to add JWK support at
> > some point. I'm wondering if we could take your code and merge it
> > into guile-jwt so other projects can use it. What do you think? Right
> > now I don't have much time but if you say it's fine I could work on
> > it whenever I'm free.
>
> That would be awesome, but working with C bindings is a pain with
> guile. If you inherit all the JWS and JWK code, I still need to keep
> them around for things like hashing the URIs for the cache and resource
> server and generating random numbers. The clever thing to do would be
> to switch to guile-gcrypt first (so that I don’t have any more C) and
> then move the code to guile-jwt (we can still change the API if you
> prefer another one, I don’t have a 1.0 release yet).

Oh, more duh! I actually saw it was in C the other day and I thought it
would be cool to use guile-jwt (well, what I would like guile-jwt to be). I
completely forgot.

Actually, now that you mention guile-gcrypt, I started working on a branch
for guile-jwt to use guile-gcrypt a while back (
https://github.com/aconchillo/guile-jwt/tree/gcrypt-port). I was waiting
for a guile-gcrypt release (I basically upgraded the base64 module
https://notabug.org/cwebber/guile-gcrypt/commit/f8934ec94df5868ee8baf1fb0f8ed0f24e7e91eb)
to cut another guile-jwt release, but it hasn't happened yet (I just saw
there's a new commit from Ludo...so maybe someday soon, Ludo? :-) ).

> Since that code will most likely be run on web servers, have you
> considered releasing it under the AGPL?

No, I have never thought about that...

Aleix