Re: Difficulty integrating with Swift/Objective-C

From: paul
Subject: Re: Difficulty integrating with Swift/Objective-C
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 20:21:56 +1000

Hello again list, Taylan,

On 2021-09-05 at 18:26 AEST, quoth Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com>:
To narrow down the issue, I'd attempt a few things, in order:

1. Compile only the C code, adding a main() function, just to make sure the OS and the chosen Guile version and such are working fine with each other.

2. Compile pure Objective-C code, calling that run_guile() function firstly directly from the main() function in main.m of the Objective-C program, and commenting out the NSApplicationMain() call that would initialize Apple's
   application framework.

3. See if reactivating the NSApplicationMain() call causes problems. (It should
   be called *after* the Guile initialization.)

4. See if you can use Guile's C functions from -applicationDidFinishLaunching: e.g. by doing: scm_c_eval_string("(begin (display 'HelloWorld) (newline))")

If that works, we now have an Objective-C + Guile application, and want to move to using Swift instead. This is where my Apple knowledge hits its limits because
I never used Swift. :-)

But I guess Swift should have something equivalent to the main() function of C and Objective-C, and calling Guile initialization from there might do the trick.

Thank you very much for your tips. I was actually able to unstick myself with your suggestions: first i created a blank Objective-C CLI app and integrated Guile, that worked well! Next i created a new, blank, Objective-C AppKit GUI app. The same procedure worked well there, too.

The more challenging bit was learning how to take my existing Swift app and (re-)introduce a main() in Objective-C. Because it turns out that Swift has some conveniences that cause it to autogenerate a _main symbol behind-the-scenes. In any case you can turn that off and create an Objective-C main function (my project didn't have Objective-C to start with, but it was enough to create a new file with a main() copied from my earlier from-scratch experiments) which - long story short - i was able to modify and get Guile booting correctly! I was even able to complete step 4, to my surprise (sort of), and call scm_c_eval_string straight from my Application Kit code. This takes a bit of fiddling (Apple's so-called Precompiled Bridging Header) to make Swift aware of C-land functions, but my app actually already has a Rust-based core which i call out to with this mechanism so here i was on firmer ground.

I think there must have been something weird about the state of my project last night, because initially i was still having the EXC_BAD_ACCESS issues, but making a new branch off my main and doing the above worked well.

It should be said that i still couldn't use the Homebrew-packaged version of Guile because of the JIT errors i described elsewhere, but this isn't a blocker because i'm able to compile my own libguile with `--enable-jit=no`.

Thanks again, i spent all weekend messing with this and couldn't figure it out, your input was super useful.

All the best,
p.