setting breakpoints at the repl

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: setting breakpoints at the repl
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:06:07 +0000

Hi,

I am working on improving the debugger interface for geiser-guile (the
main idea is to be able to send debugging meta-commands from the
*Geiser Dbg* buffer... there's something already in there in the HEAD
branches), but i am failing to understand how to set breakpoints at the
source level using ,break-at-source.  Basically, every single time i try
to set one with something like

    ,break-at-source "/home/jao/foo.scm" 3

the REPL tells me back:

    While executing meta-command:
    No procedures found at ~a:~a. "/home/jao/foo.scm" 3

I'm providing line numbers that fall inside procedure definitions (as
advised by the meta-command's doctring), but i'm still getting the same
error, no matter what.  For instance, foo.scm above contains

       (define (foo x)
         (display x)
         (display x)  ;; wanted a bp here
         (display x)
         (display x))

This is Guile 3.0.7, packaged by debian.

I must be missing something obvious, but it's too late to drink more
coffee :) What is it?

Thanks in advance!
jao
--
Lisp has assisted a number of our most gifted fellow humans in
thinking previously impossible thoughts. —Edsger Dijkstra