Preserving EOL styles during SXML (de)serializing with xml->sxml/sxml->x

From: Daniel Meißner
Subject: Preserving EOL styles during SXML (de)serializing with xml->sxml/sxml->xml
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 11:19:09 +0100

Hi Guile community!

First of all, thank you for the wonderful language you created.  It's
super fun for me to try to get stuff done using Guile.

Now to my problem: I have an XML file like this:

In this file there are elements that contain text nodes with CRLF
(Windows style EOL) and ones containing LF (UNIX style EOL).  I wish to
preserve the CRLF line endings.  However, the following little script
shows that they get lost during reading/parsing:

(use-modules (sxml simple)
             (srfi srfi-26))

(let ((sxml (call-with-input-file "eol-guile.xml" xml->sxml)))
  (write sxml)
  (call-with-output-file "eol-guile-written.xml"
    (cut sxml->xml sxml <>)))
After reading in the file and parsing it to SXML the CRLF is gone.  This
seems to happen during the SXML parsing.  How do I prevent this from
happening?

Thanks,
Daniel