Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 20:54:14 -0800

I will have to disagree on this one. Not about Guix being great :-). I
believe a simple, lightweight, integrated and cross platform package
manager for Guile would be fantastic.

For reasons that don't matter right now I have been using macOS for the
past two years and I wish I had a package manager. Since I didn't have one
I created Guile Homebrew which I'm probably the only one using. However, I
would love to have something like other languages have as jao and Zelphir
suggest. It is true that Guix would solve the reproducibility issue, but
installing Guix and having a completely separate system of libraries just
to write some project is overkill, at least for me. Maybe it makes sense
for some specific projects but for most of the things that people work on I
would say it probably doesn't. Plus, it doesn't work on macOS but that's
another story.

Speaking about package managers for Guile, some might remember about
Guildhall (https://github.com/ijp/guildhall), maybe it's waiting there for
someone to pick it up.

Aleix