Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 16:13:46 +0100

Ognen Duzlevski schreef op zo 06-02-2022 om 09:53 [-0500]:
> > Asking beginners to use Guix is too much of a jump I think. But get
> > them
> > hooked on Guile with an easy package manager and a rich ecosystem,
> > and I
> > think they will come to appreciate Guix and other free software
> > projects, like I did.
>
> I agree.
> I have already been through the learning curve of Emacs, scheme
> etc. At what point do I focus on just getting my job done and having
> a life outside of the computer instead of constantly being on the
> treadmill of learning one more concept/tool/specific to get a small
> benefit out of it? People should always remember the 80/20
> principle...

In that case, wouldn't a Guile-specific package manager count as yet
another tool to be learned?  Wouldn't using a single package manager
(Guix) for everything -- Emacs, Guile, Racket, Python, C stuff ...,
instead of learning a new language-specific package manager every time
you use a new language?  As such, I cannot reconcile your ‘I agree’
with your explanation, your explanation would seem better fitting with
‘I disagree’.

Anyway, there's already a Scheme package manager, e.g.
https://akkuscm.org/ (supports Racket, Guile, Chibi, ...) and
http://snow-fort.org/, so if we go for a Scheme-specific package
manager anyway, I'd rather avoid reinventing the wheel if possible.

Warning: I've never tried any of these Scheme package managers.
I don't know if they are good.

Greetings,
Maxime.