Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 17:05:16 -0500

On Sun, 06 Feb 2022, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:

> This seems like a practical build system to me.  Is it available online
> somewhere?  I'd like to investigate it a bit for some common problems
> in ad-hoc Makefiles (in particular w.r.t. cross-compilation, tracking
> dependency information, choosing installation prefixes...) and
> determine if I could extend it for my usecases.

I've setup a quick Gitlab repo with a `hello world` project for you and
others that would like to check it out.  Note that this is WIP and very
much glued to my project.  Also, dependencies are resolved at
configuration time of the project (while generating the Makefile), not a
build time.  In the future, I would like to change that so that it's
possible to copy the Makefile on any distro.  There's currently no
installation step also.

Here's the repo: https://gitlab.com/oldiob/cbuild

> Is it restricted to Makefiles, or can it also be used without
> generating Makefiles?  If not, things like progress bars should be easy
> to implement and file names containing spaces or ‘special characters’
> can be used without any problems.

Since it's glued to my project, and since I'm very familiar with
Makefiles, it only support Makefiles for now.  What would be the other
targets you have in mind?

--
Olivier Dion
Polymtl