Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Newbie thoughts on Guile Hall + Guix
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 17:10:05 -0500

On Sun, 06 Feb 2022, Vivien Kraus <vivien@planete-kraus.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le dimanche 06 février 2022 à 11:35 -0500, Olivier Dion via General
> Guile related discussions a écrit :
>> As much as I like hall for pure Guile project,
>> it's difficult to integrate extension libraries written in C.
>
> While this is certainly true, I think that nyacc is on the right track
> to let us use C libraries without writing a single line of C code.

I agree that when you want to use a C library that's already there, the
state of FFI in Guile is awesome.  However, you sometime need to write
your own C code for low level stuffs.  For example, I require C for
developing custom memory allocators, fast audio mixing with SIMD,
multi-threading with OpenMP, etc.  These require many tweaks in the
build system to integrate correctly with Guile at compile and run times.

--
Olivier Dion
Polymtl