Re: Ideas for making Guile easier to approach

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Ideas for making Guile easier to approach
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 19:56:26 -0500

Hi Christine,

Christine Lemmer-Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> Heck, maybe I should make a SRFI for common human readable SRFI names.
> #mildlyspicytake #maybenotabadidea

It looks to be about as spicy as a cucumber.  :)

I remembered that the R7RS Large process was giving library names to
SRFIs, but it looks like many of them now have a “library name” field in
their metadata.  For instance, see <https://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-2/>,
which says “library name: and-let*”.  Unfortunately, there are conflicts
(for example, 43 and 133 are both called “vectors”), so we might not be
able to take their names whole cloth.

Having many libraries named with a number is annoying to experienced
users and beginners alike.  Let’s fix it!

(I liked the rest of your message too, but the SRFI names really stand
out as something to be fixed IMO.)

-- Tim