Re: Ideas for making Guile easier to approach

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Ideas for making Guile easier to approach
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 08:34:20 -0600

Mikael Djurfeldt <mikael@djurfeldt.com> writes:

> Den ons 9 feb. 2022 21:12Christine Lemmer-Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org>
> skrev:
>

>> ice-9 -> guile
>> --------------
>>
>> I think that ice-9 is a weird namespace for "guile's standard library"
>> but it's what we have for historical reasons.

My 2c: The guile reference manual is worth reading. Early on, I found this:

(info "(guile)Status")

#+begin_quote

...eventually resulting in the Emacsification of the entire GNU
system. Indeed, this is the reason for the naming of the many Guile
modules that live in the ‘ice-9’ namespace, a nod to the fictional
substance in Kurt Vonnegut’s novel, Cat’s Cradle, capable of acting as a
seed crystal to crystallize the mass of software.

#+end_quote

It would be a pity to deprecate and/or remove that little bit of culture
for the sake of...OTOH, creating a workable system that allowed one to
dynamically alias modules would definitely be useful.

Leo