Re: Shell commands with output to string

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Shell commands with output to string
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 01:26:44 +0000

Hi Oliver!

On 2/22/22 17:33, Olivier Dion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2022, Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> wrote:
Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions <guile-user@gnu.org>
writes:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022, Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:
Hello Guile users!

How would I run a shell command from inside Guile and get its output
as a string, instead of the output being outputted directly? (Guile
3.0.8)
I use the following:

(define-module (shell utils)
   #:use-module (ice-9 format)
   #:use-module (ice-9 popen)
   #:use-module (ice-9 textual-ports))

(define (shell% proc fmt . args)
   (let* ((port (open-input-pipe (format #f "~?" fmt args)))
          (output (proc port)))
     (close-pipe port)
     output))
You probably want to inspect the exit value of the shell process, so
that you can handle/throw the error. This is what I use (similar to your
`shell'):
You're absolutely right.  It would also probably a good idea to use
dynamic-wind for close-pipe in case an exception is thrown in
read-string I think.

(define* (shell-command-to-string cmd)
   (catch 'shell-command-error
     ;; thunk
     (lambda ()
       (let* ((port (open-pipe cmd OPEN_READ))
              (str (read-string port))
              (wtpd (close-pipe port))
              (xval (status:exit-val wtpd)))
         (if (or (eqv? xval #f) (> xval 0)) (throw 'shell-command-error cmd
str))
         str))
     ;; handler
     (lambda (key cmd str)
       (simple-format #t "ERROR: in command ~a\nstring: ~a\n" cmd str)
       (throw 'error-in-shell-command-to-string cmd str))))

(define-public (shell . args)
   (apply shell% (cons get-string-all args)))

(define-public (shell$ . args)
   (apply shell% (cons get-line args)))

Then
(shell "ls" "-l")

The $ variant is to get a single line in the output.
I wonder why there is no module already in ice-9 which does this
stuff?  It seems like a lot of people are re-inventing the wheel.
There's ton of missing stuffs in the standard library IMO.  On top of my
head, filesystem paths manipulation (e.g. path-join) is also one that is
probably getting re-invented a lots.

I actually made something for that, trying to copy mostly the Python behavior for os.path.join:

https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/guile-fslib

Also available as a GNU Guix package, but not updated in a while on Guix. Repository contains more up to date version.

I believe that the successful story of Python is not just about its
pretty syntax, but also dues to its very large standard library.

I think so too. Although I sometimes have the feeling, that Guile does things in a cleaner way, once one figures out how to do them in the first place. One thing I really like are the ports. Stuff like call-with-output-string. Takes some twisting of the brain, but once one gets it, it becomes very useful and elegant.

But yes, Python is very beginner friendly in terms of batteries included. Although I think that its syntax feels a bit ad-hoc. As in "Oh we want some syntax for X … lets invent this keyword here." or some new operators or things like that. I like Guile syntax (or Scheme in general) much more. However, it is difficult to motivate others in a quick demo to learn the language, when you cannot take half an hour time to explain, what that for other people weird looking syntax is actually really cool.

Regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl