Re: Shell commands with output to string

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Shell commands with output to string
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 01:29:29 +0000

Hi Alex!

On 2/22/22 11:20, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote:
Hi Zelphir,

I think you want to be using the popen / pipe procedures for this. See
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-2.2/guile-ref/Pipes.html
for the chapter in the manual.

Hope this helps :)

Alex

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> writes:

Corrections below.

On 2/22/22 10:29, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
Hello Guile users!

How would I run a shell command from inside Guile and get its output
as a string, instead of the output being outputted directly? (Guile
3.0.8)

So far I have found

~~~~
(system ...)
~~~~

which I tried to use with

~~~~
scheme@(guile-user)> (with-output-to-string
   (system "ls -al"))

;; lots of output immediately shown and not stored in variable

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Wrong type to apply: 0

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(guile-user) [1]> ,bt
In ice-9/ports.scm:
     476:4  2 (with-output-to-string 0)
While executing meta-command:
In procedure frame-local-ref: Argument 2 out of range: 1
~~~~

But this does not give me a string back.

I also tried with

~~~~
scheme@(guile-user)> (call-with-values (lambda () (system "ls -al"))
... (lambda (exit-code output) output))

;; lots of output immediately shown

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Wrong number of values returned to continuation (expected 2)

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.

scheme@(guile-user) [1]> ,bt
In current input:
     10:29  1 (_)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
~~~~

Is there another function I should be using?

I would like to have the exit code and the output of a command.

Best regards,
Zelphir
Of course I should use `with-output-to-string` correctly:

~~~~
scheme@(guile-user)> (with-output-to-string
   (lambda () (system "ls -al")))
;; directly outputted stuff