Re: Guile optimizations slowing down the program?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Guile optimizations slowing down the program?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:01:27 +0100

> Le 9 mars 2022 à 08:53, "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> a écrit
> :
>

> Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:
>> Jean Abou Samra schreef op wo 09-03-2022 om 00:31 [+0100]:
>>> In summary, the less Guile optimizes, the faster LilyPond runs. Is that
>>> something expected?
>>
>> I don't think so, but I don't have a clue how this happens ...
>
> Do I understand it correctly that Lilypond has lots of snippets that are
> executed exactly once? In that case it could be expected that the
> overhead of optimization dominates — maybe even the overhead of
> increased code-size from inlining?

What is byte-compiled in these experiments is not the code from .ly files
(which is always evaluated via primitive-eval and not compiled), but the code
from LilyPond's .scm files. The compilation is done ahead of time, so its
overhead can't be responsible for these results.

> Also the new baseline compiler is already pretty good:
> https://wingolog.org/archives/2020/06/03/a-baseline-compiler-for-guile

> Maybe this?
>
>> There is also a felicitous feedback effect in that because the
>> baseline compiler is much smaller than the CPS compiler, it takes less
>> time to macro-expand —
>> https://wingolog.org/archives/2020/06/03/a-baseline-compiler-for-guile

As far as I understand, this is about the speed of compilation. For the reason
explained above, it doesn't factor into the speed of LilyPond.

Thanks for responding!

Jean