Macro for replacing a placeholder in an expression

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Macro for replacing a placeholder in an expression
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 23:57:43 +0000

Hello Guile Users,

I am trying to write a macro, which replaces all placeholders (in this case <?>) with an identifier in an arbitrarily structured expression (arbitrary nesting of expressions). I have the following code now:

~~~~
(define-syntax replace-result-placeholder
  (syntax-rules (<?> replace-result-placeholder)
    "Iterate through the parts of an expression, search for the
placeholder and replace the placeholder with the
result-identifier."
    ;; Transform trivial cases, base cases.
    [(_ result-identifier <?>)
     result-identifier]
    [(_ result-identifier (<?>))
     (result-identifier)]

    [(_ result-identifier (op))
     (op)]

    ;; If there already is such a list of transformed args
    ;; and there are still arguments not transformed.
    [(_ res-id-outer
        (op arg
            args* ...
            (list
             ;; Must match a compound expression here, to
             ;; avoid matching of other lists, like lists of
             ;; arguments in a lambda expression or
             ;; similar. Here we must only match a list of
             ;; arguments, which are yet to be transformed.
             (replace-result-placeholder res-id-inner arg-to-transform)
             other-args* ...)))
     (replace-result-placeholder
      res-id-outer
      (op args* ...
          (list (replace-result-placeholder res-id-outer arg-to-transform)
                other-args* ...
                (replace-result-placeholder res-id-inner arg))))]

    ;; If there already is such a list of transformed args
    ;; and there are no arguments not yet transformed.
    [(_ res-id-outer
        (op (list
             (replace-result-placeholder res-id-inner arg-to-transform)
             other-args* ...)))
     ((replace-result-placeholder res-id-outer op)
      (replace-result-placeholder res-id-inner arg-to-transform)
      other-args* ...)]

    ;; Create list of transformed args, if it does not yet
    ;; exist.
    [(_ result-identifier (op arg args* ...))
     (replace-result-placeholder
      result-identifier
      (op args* ...
          (list
           (replace-result-placeholder result-identifier arg))))]

    ;; Must place this trivial case last, to avoid
    ;; accidental matching of compound expressions.
    [(_ result-identifier op)
     op]

    ;; Catch all.
    [(_ other* ...)
     (syntax-error "unrecognized form in macro call:"
                   (quote
                    (replace-result-placeholder other* ...)))]
    ))
~~~~

This already seems to work mostly:

~~~~
scheme@(guile-user)> (define res 3)
scheme@(guile-user)> (replace-result-placeholder res <?>)
$18 = 3
scheme@(guile-user)> (replace-result-placeholder res (+ 1 <?>))
$19 = 4
scheme@(guile-user)> (replace-result-placeholder res (+ 1 (- 5 <?>)))
$20 = 3
scheme@(guile-user)> (replace-result-placeholder res (+ 1 (* <?> 2) (- 5 <?>)))
$21 = 9
scheme@(guile-user)>
~~~~

I was already happy, because everything seemed to work. However, when it comes to replacing things inside lambda expressions, things seem to not work correctly:

~~~~
scheme@(guile-user)> (replace-result-placeholder res (lambda (a) (+ a <?>)))
While compiling expression:
Syntax error:
unknown file:965:0: lambda: invalid argument list in subform ((a)) of
(replace-result-placeholder res (a))
~~~~

I think (but not 100% sure), that the ((a)) comes from the case:

~~~~
[(_ result-identifier (op))
     (op)]
~~~~

(In this case it is not an "operation", but nevermind the name in that pattern.) I do not understand, why it outputs something which is wrapped twice in parentheses. I do not understand where that second pair of parentheses comes from.

I tried creating a simpler macro, for the specific case of a lambda expression, to maybe find a solution this way. But it has got the same problem. At least it now serves to reproduce the problem in a simpler example:

~~~~
scheme@(guile-user)> (define-syntax test
  (syntax-rules (lambda)
    [(_ (op args body* ...))
     ((test op) (test args) (test body* ...))]

    [(_ thing1 thing2 things* ...)
     ((test thing1) (test thing2 things* ...))]

    [(_ (thing))
     (thing)]

    [(_ thing)
     thing]))
scheme@(guile-user)> (test (lambda (a) (+ a 1)))
While compiling expression:
Syntax error:
unknown file:798:0: lambda: invalid argument list in subform ((a)) of (test (a))
~~~~

There seems to be something about a template like (one-thing) that I do not understand or something completely different is going on.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,
Zelphir

--