Re: http-request bearer token syntax for Twitter v2 api

From: James Crake-Merani
Subject: Re: http-request bearer token syntax for Twitter v2 api
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 06:53:11 +0100

On 22/10/12 06:30am, Mortimer Cladwell wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone successfully submitted a bearer token to Twitter v2 api using
> http-request? What syntax did you use? Without success I have tried many
> permutations/splellings/capitalizations of:
>
>   (let* (
> (uri  "https://api.twitter.com/2/tweets";)
> (data "{\"text\":\"Hello world!\"}")
> (my-token (string-append "bearer " "abcde....myaccesstoken"))
> (my-headers `((Content-type . "application/json")(Authorization .
> ,my-token))  )
> )
>       (receive (response body)
>          (http-request uri #:method 'POST #:body data #:headers my-headers)
> (pretty-print response) (pretty-print (utf8->string body))))
>
> the error body:
>
> "{\"errors\":[{\"message\":\"Requests with bodies must have content-type of
> application/json.\"}],\"title\":\"Invalid Request\",\"detail\":\"One or
> more parameters to your request was invalid.\",\"type\":\"
> https://api.twitter.com/2/problems/invalid-request\"}";
>
> I am not sure the "Requests with bodies must have content-type of
> application/json." is the real error. I think it is "Authorization: bearer
> abcde....".  Can http-request handle a bearer token?
>
> I know my tokens are valid because I can successfully submit them using
> curl.
> Thanks
> Mortimer

Hello,

I'm not sure about the Twitter API but I've had problems using other APIs with
the web module. I normally get 400 errors from the API's load balancer, or
Cloudflare with no further information about what the error actually is. Under
these conditions, I found it near impossible to work out what was causing the
problem without trail, and error which wasn't getting me anyway. Eventually,
and after much frustration, I started using the guile Curl bindings, and
eventually managed to get it to work. I think Curl must be doing something
behind the scenes that satisfies these APIs that the web module's http-request
doesn't do.

I would much rather use Guile's built-in libraries because they are much more
functional whereas Curl uses lots of procedures with side-effects to configure
its requests but I just could not get it to work. APIs seem to work in
mysterious ways.

Hope that was helpful,
James Crake-Merani.