Re: Fibers web server: use multiple server sockets

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Fibers web server: use multiple server sockets
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 00:04:47 +0100

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 08:35:24PM +0100, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
>>
>> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>> > As far as I understand Vivien, interfaces come and go during the
>> > server's lifetime. I.e. it's not just a "boot" thing. This seems
>> > like a valid use case.
>> On some servers you might actually pull out an interface during runtime
>> to hotswap a new one — for example because it signaled that it is short
>> of failing.
>
> Yes, but as Vivien explained his case, just the other side of the network
> might go down. Or the dhcp server at the other side takes too long and we
> don't want to block the boot. Or the sysadmin just does "ifdown eth0"
> and somewhat later "ifup...". Or whatever.

Expanding on “whatever”: it may be a virtual network interface.  In an
unshared net namespace we can move one end of a veth device into the
container’s net namespace — and we can just as well move it out again or
destroy it by removing its host-side counterpart.

An example of this is shown here:
https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Container-Networking.html

--
Ricardo