Re: map-par slower than map

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: map-par slower than map
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 12:25:53 +0000

Hi!

On 11/11/22 11:26, Damien Mattei wrote:
i rewrote a complete threaded routine both with guile and racket creating threads and waiting they finish :
;; run the parallel code
  {threads <+ (map (λ (seg) (call-with-new-thread
    (λ () (proc-unify-minterms-seg seg))))
  segmts)}

  (nodebug
   (display-nl "waiting for threads to finish..."))

  ;; wait for threads to finish
  (map (λ (thread) (join-thread thread)) ;;(+ start-time max-sleep)))
       threads)

 it does not seems to block but it is a bit slower than on a single CPU.

i have this config:
Puce : Apple M1
  Nombre total de cœurs : 8 (4 performance et 4 efficacité)
it is better on a single cpu than with all the cores...

i read all the doc of Posix Thread, i admit Scheme is not C , i read on forums a few about C and Scheme comparaison.
In any thread local variables should be on the stack of each thread.
The only doubt i have is in Scheme (but the same question exist in C) what portions of code are or not copied in any thread? for this reason i tried to encapsulate all the procedures used in // as internals defines in the procedure passed at call-with-new-thread hoping they are copied in each threads. I hope the basic scheme procedures are reentrant...
I have no explaination why is it even a bit slower on multiple core than on one.

Regards,
Damien

Note, that threads in Guile and Racket are different:

https://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/eval-model.html#%28part._thread-model%29:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Threads.html:

> The procedures below manipulate Guile threads, which are wrappers around the system’s POSIX threads. For application-level parallelism, using higher-level constructs, such as futures, is recommended (see Futures).

I believe another word for Racket's threads is "green threads". They are like (more like?) Python threads, and do not run on another core. If you start multiple Racket threads on the same Racket VM, they will run all on the same core. No speedup to be expected, unless you would be waiting for IO or something, if you did not use threads. Racket threads are concurrent, but not parallel.

I think Racket's threads' nature is the answer to why it is slower than single threaded execution.

Regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories:https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl