Re: [ANN] Guile-Parallel 1.0.0 released

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile-Parallel 1.0.0 released
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 18:59:39 +0100

On 02-01-2023 17:13, Greg Troxel wrote:
Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions <guile-user@gnu.org>
writes:

I haven't use fibers a lot, but I think that if you ever need to handle
asynchronous I/O, for now you should stick with fibers.  Also, fibers
was written by peoples that have a way better understanding of Guile
internal then I do, so I would expect it to be better in some areas.  It
also use epoll(2) instead of select(2), which is way better for events
listening.  I will make the change once Guile has native support for
epoll(2).  I currently only use select(2) for listening on
timerfd_create(2) timers to handle sleeps of userspace threads, so the
impact is marginal.

epoll is as I understand it linux only so that's not a reasonable
dependency.   fibers now works with libevent which wraps multiple
faclilities and is thus pretty portable.

Guile-Fibers still uses epoll on Linux, on other systems it uses libevent.

Greetings,
Maxime.