[ANN] Guile-SSH 0.16.2 released

From: Artyom V. Poptsov
Subject: [ANN] Guile-SSH 0.16.2 released
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 22:48:50 +0300

Hello Guilers!

I'm pleased to announce Guile-SSH 0.16.2:
  https://github.com/artyom-poptsov/guile-ssh/releases/tag/v0.16.2

As usual, this release tag is signed with my GPG key[1].

This release fixes errors in tests related to libssh 0.10.

Guile-SSH 0.16.2 API should be backward-compatible with Guile-SSH
0.16.1 and 0.16.0.

Also now you can read the Guile-SSH documentation online here:
  <https://memory-heap.org/~avp/projects/guile-ssh/manual/>

Or here (through the Yggdrasil[2] network):
  <http://[209:81d:7123:9c1:7a4:586e:2c54:37af]/~avp/projects/guile-ssh/manual/>

Please note that:

  1. The Yggdrasil access is experimental and there's no guarantees; the
     actual Yggdrasil IPv6 address can be found on the main page of the
     site: <https://memory-heap.org/~avp/>

  2. The site itself is self-hosted so sometimes it is a bit flacky.

* What is Guile-SSH?

Guile-SSH is a library that provides access to the SSH protocol[3] for
programs written in GNU Guile interpreter.  It is built upon the
libssh[4] library.

Currently Guile-SSH provides the following features:
  - The API that is sufficient for building of standalone SSH clients and
    servers, or for embedding client/server functionality in your lispy Scheme
    applications.
  - Several authentication methods are supported, including password
    authentication, public key and SSH agent authentication methods.
  - Key management procedures: you can make key pairs, read keys from files,
    get key hashes, get public keys from private keys etc.  DSS, RSA, RSA1 and
    ECDSA (by means of OpenSSL) are supported.
  - Port forwarding procedures and high-level API for creating of SSH tunnels.
  - Distributed forms ('dist-map', 'distribute', ...) that allow to spread the
    evaluation of Scheme code between remote hosts.  Or you can just connect
    to a remote REPL from Scheme using 'with-ssh' procedure and evaluate some
    expressions.  No special server needed on the remote side, just an SSH
    daemon and GNU Guile installed!
  - SFTP client API allows you to read and write remote files, or do directory
    traversal over the SSH protocol right from the Scheme code.
  - Remote popen API that allows you to make either input, output or
    bidirectional pipes to remote processes.
  - Detailed documentation in Texinfo format with examples included, even more
    examples in 'examples' directory.
  - Procedures for interaction with SSH agents.

* The list of user-visible changes

Here's the list of user-visible changes between 0.16.0 and 0.16.2 (an
excerpt from NEWS file):

* Changes in version 0.16.2 (2023-01-02)
** Bugfix in test "string->public-key, ECDSA"
The test used to explicitly compare libssh version with "9" so it would always
fail on platforms with libssh 0.10.  Now the test does numerical comparison
and uses "ecdsa-p256" on platforms that have libssh 0.9 or later version.

Reported by Vagrant Cascadian, here:
<https://github.com/artyom-poptsov/guile-ssh/issues/34>

* Changes in version 0.16.1 (2022-12-31)
** Disable the tests that require DSA algorithm by default
When DSA support is disabled in libssh (which is the default state since
libssh 0.10) all DSA-related Guile-SSH procedures will fail.  Now Guile-SSH
disables by default all the tests that are require the DSA algorithm support
by default.

Although those changes do not affect the Guile-SSH API directly, users should
be aware that DSA support will be removed altogether in the next major libssh
release.

Reported by Vagrant Cascadian, here:
<https://github.com/artyom-poptsov/guile-ssh/issues/34>
** Add '--enable-dsa' Autoconf option
'configure.ac' now has '--enable-dsa' option that allows to enable DSA public
key algorithm support in Guile-SSH.
** (ssh version): 'dsa-support?': New procedure
** guix.scm: Use libssh 0.10.0
The development GNU Guix environment now uses libssh 0.10.0.

Many thanks to all the people who helped me with bug reports, pull
requests and other hints.  I added all contributors to "AUTHORS" and
"THANKS" files -- please let me know if I forgot to thank someone or
if there any typos.

- Artyom

--
Artyom "avp" Poptsov <poptsov.artyom@gmail.com>