Re: [ANN] Guile-Parallel 1.0.0 released

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile-Parallel 1.0.0 released
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 15:17:29 +0000

On 1/8/23 15:44, Olivier Dion wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2023, Zelphir Kaltstahl<zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de>  wrote:
On 12/31/22 21:31, Olivier Dion wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2022, Zelphir Kaltstahl<zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de>   wrote:

Maybe I can already make use of it in coming AoC puzzles.
Any sort of feeback is welcome!
Hello Olivier!

May I ask how to make use of the library? I cloned the project onto my local
machine in a subfolder of a project, in which I want to use it. There are some
guix files in the guile-parallel repository, but I am unsure how to make use of
it as a guix package. I think there was a possibility to use local code as a
package in a guix shell, but I cannot find the info how to do it, so I tried the
following:
I could publish the next revision to Guix!  In the mean time, I think
you can do the following from your root project directory:

guix shell \
      --file=guile-parallel/.guix.scm \
      --with-source=guile-parallel=guile-parallel

You can replace `guix-shell' with `guix-build' to get the path where
guile-parallel was built.

Also you could copy the package definition of guile-parallel under
guile-parallel/.guix.scm in your project tree somehwere.  Then, you can
use
`--with-source=guile-parallel=https://git.sr.ht/~old/guile-parallel/archive/v1.0.0.tar.gz'
to use release source.

Hope that help!

Hello Olivier, thank you for the reply!

I tried the following:

~~~~
user@user-desktop:~/dev/advent-of-code-2022/day-14$ guix shell \
     --file=guile-parallel/.guix.scm \
     --with-source=guile-parallel=guile-parallel
user@user-desktop:~/dev/advent-of-code-2022/day-14$ guile
GNU Guile 3.0.8
Copyright (C) 1995-2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules
...  (parallel))
While compiling expression:
no code for module (parallel)
scheme@(guile-user)>
~~~~

That one does not seem to work.

~~~~
user@user-desktop:~/dev/advent-of-code-2022/day-14$ guix build
--file=guile-parallel/.guix.scm --with-source=guile-parallel=guile-parallel
/gnu/store/8fm8m43m2rx1b6slnldfi5q8rqw45kr8-guile-parallel-0.0.0
~~~~

That one gives the filename.

~~~~
user@user-desktop:~/dev/advent-of-code-2022/day-14$ cp guile-parallel/.guix.scm
.

user@user-desktop:~/dev/advent-of-code-2022/day-14$ guix shell
--with-source=guile-parallel=https://git.sr.ht/~old/guile-parallel/archive/v1.0.0.tar.gz

guix shell: warning: no packages specified; creating an empty environment
guix shell: warning: no packages specified; creating an empty environment

user@user-desktop:~/dev/advent-of-code-2022/day-14$ guix shell
--with-source=guile-parallel=https://git.sr.ht/~old/guile-parallel/archive/v1.0.0.tar.gz
  --file=.guix.scm

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.lJWk5a
Fromhttps://git.sr.ht/~old/guile-parallel/archive/v1.0.0.tar.gz...
 v1.0.0.tar.gz
                                              445KiB/s 00:00 | 38KiB transferred
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
  /gnu/store/w9i162m5pmw83dm2xhwai4s6zsxhw6c0-profile.drv
  /gnu/store/nrnavbjjdahwvdxzkky8wh5amfpyjqkv-guile-parallel-0.0.0.drv

building /gnu/store/nrnavbjjdahwvdxzkky8wh5amfpyjqkv-guile-parallel-0.0.0.drv...
building CA certificate bundle...
listing Emacs sub-directories...
building fonts directory...
building directory of Info manuals...
building profile with 1 package...

user@user-desktop:~/dev/advent-of-code-2022/day-14$ guile

GNU Guile 3.0.8
Copyright (C) 1995-2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.

scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules
...  (parallel))

While compiling expression:
no code for module (parallel)

scheme@(guile-user)>
~~~~

(linebreaks inserted for readability) That one also does not seem to work for
me.

It is not a show stopper for me, as I can simply use my previously created parallel functions and replace them later, but I think it would be nice to try out guile-parallel : )

Regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories:https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl