Re: bytevector seems to be missing in Guile

From: Robby Zambito
Subject: Re: bytevector seems to be missing in Guile
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 15:35:16 -0500

Sascha Ziemann <ceving@gmail.com> writes:

> But quote from R7RS page 29:
>
>> For convenience and ease of use, the
>> global Scheme environment in a REPL must not be empty,
>> but must start out with at least the bindings provided by
>> the base library.

Yes I think it's a bug (or at least misleading) that using --r7rs
doesn't import (scheme base). I dug around to see what that flag
actually does. All it does is call (install-r7rs!), which adds .sld to
the load extensions and sets some reader settings.

The documentation isn't technically wrong, since there is /a/ base
library (notice write isn't missing), it's just that there are several
"base" libraries: (guile), (scheme base), and (rnrs base), and the "base
library" is referring to the first one. I think it would be ideal for
--r7rs to use (scheme base) as the base library and for --r6rs to use
(rnrs base) or (rnrs) as the base library.