Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:29:05 +0100

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 07:42:15AM +0000, James Crake-Merani wrote:
> Hi,

[...]

> I think, at least for now, that our jobs are safe.

My fears are not that much about our jobs. Rather about people
believing the marketing hype. There are already enough life
changing decisions taken by such crude, intransparent and
borderline criminal tools, be it ad serving, consumable pricing,
access to housing & healthcare, bank credit, you name it.

> I suspect potentially, AI
> like ChatGPT could help automate more trivial tasks so the humans can be
> left just with the tasks that are done best by humans. But at the moment,
> while ChatGPT has made improvements in this regard, it is still too
> erroneous to be used for even that purpose.

This is basically what Shoshana Zuboff wrote back in 1988 ("In the
Age of the Smart Machine" [1]). Now go look at what she wrote 2019
("The Age_of_Surveillance_Capitalism" [2] [2a]).

My take is that such potentially society-shattering technologies
don't belong in the hands of corporations which have no choice
but to maximize their return on investment. But perhaps that's me.

Cheers

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshana_Zuboff#In_the_Age_of_the_Smart_Machine
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshana_Zuboff#Surveillance_capitalism