Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 12:20:54 +0100

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 10:56:38AM +0000, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
> On 3/20/23 00:18, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> > <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
> > > which has tried to be free (in both senses). For images, there is
> > > Stable Diffusion (disclaimer:I don't know much about them). For
> > > raw data, there's Common Crawl [3], which is Stable Diffusion's
> > Stable diffusion has one of the most evil licenses I’ve read till now:
> > using its images seems to be allowed for almost all proprietary uses,
> > but illegal for free culture use. See the explicit questions about that
> > here: https://github.com/CompVis/stable-diffusion/issues/131
> >
> > A license that makes its output only usable for proprietary creations
> > but not for free culture is like the polar opposite of the GPL or CC
> > by-sa: making a tool that gives proprietary creations an advantage over
> > Free Culture.
>
> That would double evil, since they most likely trained their stuff on freely
> available things. Basically taking from our culture, but not giving anything
> back and netting the profits.

Capitalism is doubly evil.

It is actually infinitely evil. It reminds me of the divergences you
find in quantum electrodynamics and similar, where the fields produce
fields which produce fields ad infinitum and you have to resort to
some obscure mathematical device to somehow continue doing things.

You'll find an echo of that on derivatives market, which also tend
to diverge.

> My biggest concerns about these big machine learning models are:
>
> (1) The laundering character, be it code, other texts, prose and to on, or
> artworks.—What and where are their sources? Complete list of inputs? [...]

Shoshana Zuboff calls it "appropriation": "This is ours, now".
Pretty standard capitalistic modus operandi. Enclosures [1]
and all that.

> In the end it is the same typical kind of shitty behavior we see from
> entities like FB, oh wait, they call themselves "Meta" now lol.: "Oh what
> you want is soooo complicated to do and would be sooo much effort! We cannot
> possibly be expected to do that, so sorry!"—Well then don't start doing what
> you do in the first place! If doing it ethically does not scale, then don't
> friggin start scaling!

Twitter just shows the path: fire your ethical team, problem solved :)

Totally agree, except that most of it are just old hats with a "new"
technology (actually not that new, but empowered by the availability
of cheap GPUs). Of course those old hats become way more dangerous
the more tech they get.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosures