guix-devel

Re: Mummi wishlist: API using Message-ID

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Mummi wishlist: API using Message-ID
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 23:53:31 -0400

zimoun writes:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 at 12:00, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

>> This is an interesting idea!  I don’t know if it’ll work as a plain URL,
>> because not all characters of a message id might be usable in a URL (you
>> may need to URL-encode it and can’t just paste it in the URL bar of your
>> browser), but it would certainly work as a search query.  The only
>> problem is that we’re not currently indexing the message ids.
>
> I do not know but public-inbox is doing such thing, isn't it?
> I mean, the example with emacs-debbugs, my "custom" function and the
> service <yhetil.org>:

[...]
> Is it not enough?
> The URL,  is it not always ready-to-be-pasted?
> The link contains '@' but it works (on my webbrowser at least :-)).

For public-inbox URLs, there is one character that needs to be escaped:
"/" with "%2F" (see <https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/_/text/help/>).

However, in its current form, your custom function has a good chance of
being enough.  Here is the number of message IDs known to
yhetil.org/guix-devel:

    $ echo 'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msgmap' | \
        sqlite3 -readonly guix-devel-msgmap.sqlite3
    55231

And of those, only 11 have "/" in them:

    $ echo 'SELECT mid FROM msgmap' | \
        sqlite3 -readonly guix-devel-msgmap.sqlite3 | grep -c "/"
    11