guix-devel

Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?

From: Paul Garlick
Subject: Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 17:26:15 +0100

Hi Simon,

Thank you for working on the Gmsh package.  There have been a great
many changes since the last update.

> I am inclined to enable METIS because it appears to me
fine.  However,
> since freedom is essential, it would like another advice and/or
comment
> on.

There is a distinction between METIS (free) and ParMETIS (non-free)
which may have influenced the decision to remove the whole metis
directory.  As far as I can see Gmsh does not use any files from the
ParMETIS library.

There is only a parmetis.c file included in the metis directory.
However, it is commented out in CMakeLists.txt.

Best regards,

Paul.