guix-devel

Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?

From: Paul Garlick
Subject: Re: Licensing issue with Gmsh?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 22:59:24 +0100

Hi Simon,

> There is only a parmetis.c file included in the metis directory.
> However, it is commented out in CMakeLists.txt.

> To be "Guix compliant", this parametis.c file should be removed,
> right?

The file is part of METIS and thereby covered by the Apache license.
It only provides entry points for ParMETIS, so ignoring it in the build
stage, in the way that Gmsh does, seems to be appropriate.

However, I notice from the patch that the Guix package metis is
included as an input.  This means that the whole of the bundled
'contrib/metis' directory could be deleted after all.  If I remember
correctly CMake gives preference to the 'system' packages ahead of the
bundled packages.

Best regards,

Paul.