guix-devel

Re: Problems with the test suite

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Problems with the test suite
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 14:30:44 +0200

Hi,

Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> skribis:

> I'm still working on making 43193 ready to apply. I added a test, and
> it looks like my to the build script --with-source option broke
> something. I am getting error messages, but I don't know where in the
> code they are occurring. Is there any way I can get a stack trace when
> errors are raised during tests? I also noticed nearly all of the tests
> assert multiple things simultaneously, compounded by the `and`
> function. When one of those things is found to be false, the test
> fails, but I don't know which part of the assertion is false.

Could you show exactly the output you’re getting?

SRFI-64 ‘test-assert’ & co. report exceptions but they don’t show you
the backtrace.  The trick you can use to see the exception is to “lift”
your test expression outside ‘test-assert’:

  (test-assert "test my stuff
    (begin my code …))

  =>

  (begin my code …)

> Are there any advantages to using Guix's custom testing API over other
> testing APIs like SRFI-64? If not, why not transition the test suite
> to use one of them?

Guix uses plain SRFI-64.

HTH,
Ludo’.