guix-devel

Re: Failing CI evaluation for staging branch

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: Failing CI evaluation for staging branch
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 16:35:42 +0200

Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Hi Guillaume,
>>
>> Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> skribis:
>>
>>> Currently no substitutes are built for the testing branch because the
>>> evaluation fails. The log at https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/16794/log/raw
>>> ends with:
>>
>> You mean the ‘staging’ branch?
>>

> Yes, I meant 'staging'. I often type 'testing' instead of 'staging',
> probably that pesky muscle memory!.
>
>>> guix/inferior.scm:247:2: ERROR:
>>>   1. &inferior-exception:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> If I understand this correctly, there's a '#:builder' keyword somewhere
>>> that is causing a problem. Does someone know where it can come from, or
>>> how to fix the issue?
>>
>> Right.  I’d look at guix/build-system/asdf.scm:279:2 on that branch (per
>> the inferior stack trace above).  Does that give useful info?
>
> I didn't see any obvious problem in that file; the strange thing is that
> 'make', 'make as-derivation' and './pre-inst-env guix build ...' all
> work fine.
>
> In a local branch I merged the current master (3699ed6) into staging
> (de96ed1) and I'm going to try to start a local cuirass daemon to see
> wether I can reproduce the issue or not.
>
> Given that merging master in staging hasn't been done in a while, should
> I also push my updated staging branch, or maybe someone is already
> working on it?

Ok, I started a local Cuirass, I reproduced the evaluation failure, and
I think I found the problem: Cuirass was choking on the definition of
the ecl-slynk package. I fixed it and know the evaluation has
been 'In progress...' for 15 minutes.
Then, if the evaluation completes successfully, and if there are no
objections, I'll push the updated staging branch.