guix-devel

Re: Release v1.2 timetable

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Release v1.2 timetable
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 16:51:46 +0200

Dear Danny,

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 17:08, Danny Milosavljevic
<dannym@scratchpost.org> wrote:

> >  b. fix bugs severity:important,serious [3,4] or report
>
> Bug #43513 means that all armhf substitutes built for armhf on anything else
> than armhf (especially those built on aarch64) are untrustworthy.
>
> I'm working on fixing it (Patch #43591)--but it will entail a complete rebuild
> of all packages at least on all 32 bit architectures.
>
> If this bug is not fixed AND TESTED in time for the release, I would ask to
> remove ARMHF and i686 from the list of supported systems for the time being,
> and disable substitutes for armhf and i686--at least those built on a machine
> that is not exactly the same (armhf and i686, respectively).
>
> That bug is horrible.

Ouch!  Thank you for working on that.

I have read Bug #43513 and Patch #43591 [1,2] and the table [3] is not
really encouraging. :-(

If I understand correctly, the plan is to disable some architectures
with this Patch #43829 [4], right?

BTW, is this Bug #43720 [5] blocking for the release too?

Well, what is the status and the plan about this armhf topic?

[1] <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43513>
[2] <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43591>
[3] <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43591#30>
[4] <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/43829>