guix-devel

Re: Release v1.2 timetable

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Release v1.2 timetable
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 17:39:44 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 16:51:46 +0200
zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have read Bug #43513 and Patch #43591 [1,2] and the table [3] is not
> really encouraging. :-(

This bug has serious repercussions for bootstrapping--and thus for the entire
GNU Guix distribution (not to mention those other distributions which do not
enable large file support).  If I were glibc I would be recalling their
last few releases and would be telling everyone not to use those releases.

> If I understand correctly, the plan is to disable some architectures
> with this Patch #43829 [4], right?

Yes, that is correct.

> BTW, is this Bug #43720 [5] blocking for the release too?
>
> Well, what is the status and the plan about this armhf topic?

There's a branch wip-file-offset-64-sledgehammer (branched off core-updates)
where I'm trying to fix this bug for good.

I keep running into other problems (which have nothing to do with this bug) on
it--which is why I have to do other commits to fix those OTHER problems (to
core-updates).

Each one of those unrelated bugs delays me for a day each (first I have to
notice that one of the build servers stopped building everything on
wip-file-offset-64-sledgehammer, then I have to build core-updates to
see whether it has the problem too (also, chances are that the build of
core-updates on i686-linux-on-x86_64 and armhf-linux-on-aarch64 hangs because
the readdir problem causes an endless loop!), and then fix the problem on
core-updates, then rebase branch wip-file-offset-64-sledgehammer on that
core-updates, and finally restart the build of everything on all architectures
again).

(For example, I just fixed mesa--but it's not reproducible.  Was it not
reproducible before?  No one knows... WHY NOT?)

(Right now xorg-server has a problem with event (non-)ordering... again,
something that is definitely unrelated to file size.  So there I have to go
test that on core-updates again)

Not to mention that on the aarch64 build server I still don't have a working
home directory.  Otherwise I'd just do crontab -e and add the thing above
by myself.  But crontab -e probably doesn't work either...

This is so frustrating.