guix-devel

Re: Hello from new Outreachy applicant

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Hello from new Outreachy applicant
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 10:18:43 +0200

Re,

> Nice, thanks for looking at it. It looks like a really good
> improvement, but Simon
> will have more info on that.

I have. :-)

Basically, recently the new "guix git" subcommand has been added (see
"guix git authenticate").  So the idea is to add another subcommand:
"guix git log" to browse the local clone (see
~/.cache/guix/checkouts/).  Currently, it is cumbersome:

$ git -C
~/.cache/guix/checkouts/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq
\
       log -10 --oneline
08c62ac7bd (HEAD -> master) gnu: ghc-stylish-haskell: Deprecate older
duplicate package.
156b08bd2f gnu: stylish-haskell: Update description.
3ac12ca61b gnu: Add r-oai.
069554dc24 gnu: Add r-latex2exp.
ae10511981 gnu: Add r-httpcode.
2e59a63b41 gnu: global: Add 'python-wrapper' as input.
18401bdf69 Revert "gnu: Remove qemu-minimal@2.10."
dde3f55156 gnu: gpgme: Fix build.
b1ebda07cb gnu: python-pygraphviz: Use HTTPS home page.
d7ee58ccd2 gnu: python-tables: Use HTTPS home page.

And the point is to hide the plumbing and simply do:

   guix git log <options>

Well, the <options> have to be discussed.

> > Aside from that, can you tell me more about how this mentorship
> > process works? Is there a regular schedule with meetings or progress
> > reports or such?
>
> No, actually nothing compulsory. We usually come to an informal agreement on
> the meetings. I believe that communication is important and like to
> have a longer discussion

+1

> (an hour or so) in the internship period. Other than that, I would
> like to see two things:

[...]

> Don't get too stressed, there is nothing set in stone, and we can be
> quite flexible, as long as we see progress, but please communicate
> often, so that we know what's going on.

I am perfectly aligned with Gábor.  The main points are:

  - Fun matters!
  - Communicate often

All the best,
simon