guix-devel

Re: Call for 1.2 installer testing.

From: Brendan Tildesley
Subject: Re: Call for 1.2 installer testing.
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 17:23:30 +1100

Hi, I went through the installer looking for anything negative I could say about it :) hope there is something helpful here:

Unrelated driver bug: installer was just a black screen until I rebooted with nomodeset:  https://paste.debian.net/1166581/
Even with nomodeset, I get an error about no UMS supported in radeon, but it doesn't stop anything.

Languages listed in the language selection are sometimes in English, Rarely in the native language. What's the difference between "Mandarin Chinese" and "Chinese"?. I guess this just requires translation data. The names of languages in their respective languages is something that already exists in a million different projects already, can we just copy them in?
Even when choosing Mandarin Chinese, nothing in the installer is in Mandarin. I guess one also needs to choose the final system language too.
Random thought: could we adapt the installer to use the same sentences from an existing installer, like the ubuntu one, so that all the translations can be copied in for free? All the basic quesions like please choose a password are surely shared between these installers.

The installer allows choosing the installation USB its self as a target, which I imagine would result in a disaster? People can shoot themselves in the foot if they want I guess?

No indication of what buttons one needs to use what: space, enter, tab, nor that there are other TTYs with documentation and how to get to them.

Enter selects and takes you to the next line when its an input box, but it does not select and take you out of it to the button below if it is the bottom most checkbox. one must then move to the tab button.

Down arrow in a checkbox list takes you down to the bottom of the list, but then it will not jump out to the button below. It does take you from Ok to Exit though, like left-right, but it wont cross the barriers.

space doesnt select menu items, but does select and move down checkbox lists, and selects buttons

I found my self switching between enter, tab, and space to get through, by going of intuition and thinking "do what i mean".

Perhaps Esc should escape when it makes sense.

After getting through the install with encrypted root, The install finally fails trying to install grub with:

Installing for i386-pc  platform.
grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for RAID and LVM install.