guix-devel

Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction

From: Magali Lemes
Subject: Re: Outreachy Applicant: An Introduction
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 07:02:00 -0300

Hey,
I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. I must say I've never used emacs before, so
I'll try to get the hang of it.
Sharing my progress: I decided to package the arduino IDE, but it turned out
way harder than I expected, due to its many dependencies. I ended up not
doing it, but it was a good experience because I could learn about some
functions in Scheme - chdir, for example -, some of the phases of
building a package - like unpacking, configuring and building - and I could
also interact with the community, asking for help, via IRC, which is a
very new thing for me.
As for today, I will continue trying to package something. I'll probably follow
your previous advice and begin with a R package. It seems easier, so hopefully
I'll succeed.

Cheers,
Magali.

Em seg., 12 de out. de 2020 às 12:06, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> escreveu:
Hi,

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 13:00, Magali Lemes <magalilemes00@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guix was fairly easy to install, I used the shell script to do that.

Which distribution do you use?

> I installed emacs using Guix and it worked as expected.

Nice!
Personally, I manage the Emacs packages with Guix via a manifest.scm
file.  And in a separate profile.  My conf [1] is far from perfect but
if you need inspiration. :-)

1: <https://github.com/zimoun/my-conf>

> I'll begin by trying to package something. So, I'll go through the links you sent
> and see how that goes.

Cool!
Do not hesitate to ask on help-guix or #guix if you encounter issues
on your path.  And feel free to send your progress, success or
failure.

All the best,
simon