guix-devel

Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 15:59:21 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> I would lean towards keeping it separate, so that it’s an optional
>>> feature (given that it relies on downloading an external database).
>>
>> I was leaning towards downloading the database with "guix pull", so that
>> the "filesearch" subcommand would not download anything.
>
> Like substitutes, it should be an optional feature IMO, which means we
> need to keep clear boundaries.

We can still fetch the database with =guix pull= while making it
optional.

> There’s also the question of whether we should have a system-wide
> database so that each user doesn’t have to download it, especially if
> it’s relatively big.

I'm leaning towards storing them in /var/guix/.  Something like this:

/var/guix/filesearch-databases/guix-$COMMIT.db
/var/guix/filesearch-databases/guix-$OTHER_COMMIT.db

> Apologies for throwing more questions than answers into the mix.  :-)

No problem, it's a good sign that we are going forward :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/