guix-devel

Re: Shipping more installer images?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Shipping more installer images?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:07:21 +0300

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 01:47:25PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skribis:
>
> >> I'm actually not really sure how one would use the installer on one of
> >> the boards. I think the bare-bones disk-images would be best; just
> >> download it and flash it onto the board or an SD card and edit
> >> /etc/config.scm to add your user and services. Or to boot up into the
> >> installer and overwrite itself.
> >
> > The CI is already building substitutes for two images
> > (hurd-barebones-qcow2-image and pine64-barebones-raw-image). We could
> > maybe release 1.2 version of those images.
>
> Keep in mind that images use space at ftp.gnu.org and also take time to
> build (having CI up-to-date helps with that, but it doesn’t not
> eliminate build times due to the ‘update-guix-package’ dance that takes
> place during “make release”.)

We could also list out the commands for building the image and have
"community images" built and tested by people who actually have the
boards.

> Likewise, if we ship more images, we should update the “System
> Installation” section accordingly and be clear about what users can
> expect.

My slightly more featureful pine64plus image I built for myself came out
to 1.5 GiB and 291 MiB with bzip2. I don't know how much space the other
images or x86* images are.

We could also build and test them on a different schedule and upload
them at a later date as they're shown to be working.