guix-devel

Re: Call for 1.2 installer testing.

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: Call for 1.2 installer testing.
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:40:32 +0200

Hello,

Here a positive installation experience:

I did my usual bare metal installation of the image linked below on a
ThinkPenguin laptop that has always worked pretty well with Guix.

Ran through the graphical installation, going through configuration
options that have caused problems in the past (Esperanto locale, based
in Brussels, with Neo2 keyboard layout, fully encrypted disk).

The installation proceeded like a charm. Perhaps partly to do with me
now being used to the installer, and having hardware that "just works"
with libre software, but this was super user friendly. And actually also
super fast!

Congratulations and a massive thanks to everyone who's put time and
energy into this!

I can honestly say, with the current state, I would absolutely try a
guix system deployment in the first instance on any laptop I might
consider a GNU\Linux install, and only falling back to Debian if there
are hardware issues.

Very impressed.

Best wishes,

Alex