guix-devel

Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:30:13 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> Question: How do I hook onto =guix build=?
>>
>> You would need a build-completion hook in the daemon, which doesn’t
>> exist (yet!).  Note also that at this level we only see derivations, not
>> packages.
>
> Hmm... Can you explain me how =guix size= works with local builds?  Does
> it compute the size on demand or is it stored somewhere?

It first tries ‘query-path-info’, which succeeds if the store item is
available and contains info about its size, references, and so on.

When ‘query-path-info’ fails, it falls back to
‘query-substitutable-path-info’, which allows it to obtain the same
information for substitutes.  Thus, it doesn’t need to have the store
item available locally.

HTH!

Ludo’.