guix-devel

Re: Localization of language names

From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas
Subject: Re: Localization of language names
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:46:35 +0200

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
> Brendan Tildesley <mail@brendan.scot> skribis:
>
>> Languages listed in the language selection are sometimes in English,
>> Rarely in the native language.
>
> We take language names and their translations from the ‘iso-codes’
> package, specifically the “iso_639-3” message catalog.  Quoth
> (gnu installer newt locale):
>
>     (lambda (language)
>       (let ((english (language-code->language-name iso639-languages
>                                                    language)))
>         (setenv "LANGUAGE" language)
>         (let ((native (gettext english "iso_639-3")))
>           (unsetenv "LANGUAGE")
>           native)))

Yesterday I took a look at this issue and the problem was that the
installed locale during these calls to gettext was the default one: C.
I've attached a patch that fixes this and now the installer shows
language names in the language itself.

Nonetheless, it didn't work when I removed the call from installer to
installer-real, as the there comment says, and set the locale directly
in the line added by the patch.  Therefore I need to take a deeper look
into libc code to really understand what's happening there, and check if
it is possible to remove that extra call in the future, or find a
satisfactory explanation at least.

Happy hacking!
Miguel