guix-devel

Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 23:57:09 +0200

> Well, back to the real issue.  I do not know if the issue comes from TeX
> configuration or from ’makeinfo’.  For example,

> mkdir -p /tmp/test && cd /tmp/test
>
> cp ~/guix/doc/{guix.fr,os-*,fdl-1.3,contributing.fr,version-fr}.texi .
> cp -R ~/guix/doc/images images
> cp ~/guix/doc/environment-gdb.scm .
> cp ~/guix/doc/package-hello.{scm,json} .
>
> guix environment guix -C \
>      --ad-hoc texlive-base texlive-fonts-ec texlive-epsf texlive-tex-texinfo \
>      -- makeinfo --pdf guix.fr.texi
>
> lead to incorrect Table of Contents but the rest is good (at least what
> I checked).  It seems as ’makeinfo’ incorrectly deal with the unicode in
> the master menu.  On the other hand,
>
>   guix environment guix -C --ad-hoc texlive -- makeinfo --pdf guix.fr.pdf
>
> works correctly.  Hum?  I do not know…

It’s almost certainly due to configuration of the modular texlive.
We’re generating a whole bunch of font map files and encoding files
already, but something somewhere must still be missing.

I embarked on a journey to fix this and am now deep into upgrading and
adding TeX Live packages…  The first step in fixing this is to ensure
that all texlive-* packages contain the files that they should.  The old
texlive-* packages consisted simply of a single directory from the big
TeX Live SVN repository.  Since the addition of multiple SVN fetch and
simple-texlive-package using it I have added a whole bunch of new
texlive-* packages that contain all files as recorded in texlive.tlpdb.

This needs to be done for all remaining old packages (you can tell they
are old by the naming scheme: texlive-{latex,luatex,generic,fonts…}-*
instead of just texlive-[name]).

--
Ricardo