guix-devel

Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Removing/replacing “Guix in action” video from the home page?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 13:13:52 +0200

Dear,

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 at 05:42, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also experience poor performance on profile generation when using Guix
> on an older machine equipped with spinning disks.  This kind of
> operation appears to be IO hungry, and performs much faster on solid
> state drives (SSDs).
>
> I've opened an issue for the poor performance on spinning drives here:
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44053.

I am the first who complains about slowness (see patches for "guix
search" :-)).  However, I am not able to reproduce even on an older
machine equipped with spinning disks because it depends on the number
of packages living in the profiles.  Therefore, the trick is to split
all the big profiles into smaller ones.  See for reference:
<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Guix-Profiles-in-Practice.html#Guix-Profiles-in-Practice>.

All the best,
simon