guix-devel

Racket packages / build system

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Racket packages / build system
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 00:53:31 -0400

Bonface M. K. writes:

> Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:
>
>> Just a heads up that right now you *can* run Racket-on-Chez, but soon
>> Racket-on-Chez will be the "default"... maybe it's a good idea to see
>> how hard it will be to make a racket-on-chez package variant.
>>
>> I'm interested in looking at that but it'll probably have to be a while
>> before I can do so... if someone does so before me, I'll be interested
>> in beta testing at least.
>>
>> But also leaving this here as a self-reminder so we aren't surprised
>> when it becomes a more important thing to deal with :)
>>

> Also, since we are talking about Racket, what
> happened to having a racket build system?

There's interest in it, and Dimos made interesting progress towards
figuring out some of the key problems... there's been interest beyond
that but sadly it seems like organizing the energy to work on it hasn't
happened for whatever reason yet.

I've offered to throw money at the problem if someone's willing to take
it on btw... not much, but some money.  I've talked to a couple of
people about that but it stalled in each iteration.... I don't think
it's impossible but I guess it's one of those tasks that for whatever
reason seems difficult to get going on because there are some
complexities around the way Racket builds "collections" that eg don't
seem to show up in Python.  Anyway that's not a judgement because
despite wanting it fairly badly clearly I haven't made progress on it.

I have the notes that Dimos wrote up not long ago in case anyone is
interested.  Dimos, do you mind if I post them to the list?

 - Chris