guix-devel

Re: Racket packages / build system

From: Bonface M. K.
Subject: Re: Racket packages / build system
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 13:09:26 +0300

Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org>
writes:

> Bonface M. K. writes:
>
>> Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:
>>
>>> Just a heads up that right now you *can* run Racket-on-Chez, but soon
>>> Racket-on-Chez will be the "default"... maybe it's a good idea to see
>>> how hard it will be to make a racket-on-chez package variant.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in looking at that but it'll probably have to be a while
>>> before I can do so... if someone does so before me, I'll be interested
>>> in beta testing at least.
>>>
>>> But also leaving this here as a self-reminder so we aren't surprised
>>> when it becomes a more important thing to deal with :)
>>>

>> Also, since we are talking about Racket, what
>> happened to having a racket build system?
>
> There's interest in it, and Dimos made interesting progress towards
> figuring out some of the key problems... there's been interest beyond
> that but sadly it seems like organizing the energy to work on it hasn't
> happened for whatever reason yet.

Can I volunteer on this task? There's some work in
my team done in Racket; and it would be of great
interest to us to have a working Racket build
system. I can set apart some time to work on
this. I'd ask for alot of guidance/ review on this
though :)

> I've offered to throw money at the problem if someone's willing to take
> it on btw... not much, but some money.  I've talked to a couple of
> people about that but it stalled in each iteration.... I don't think
> it's impossible but I guess it's one of those tasks that for whatever
> reason seems difficult to get going on because there are some
> complexities around the way Racket builds "collections" that eg don't
> seem to show up in Python.  Anyway that's not a judgement because
> despite wanting it fairly badly clearly I haven't made progress on it.
>
> I have the notes that Dimos wrote up not long ago in case anyone is
> interested.  Dimos, do you mind if I post them to the list?

Please do share the notes! I can try to hack
something up \m/\m/.

--
Bonface M. K. <https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com>
Chief Emacs Mchochezi / Rieng ya software sare