guix-devel

Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 12:29:34 +0200

Hi Danny,

Back to this.  Since it would be nice to try to release (somewhere?)
an experimental guix Docker image.

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 10:00, Danny Milosavljevic
<dannym@scratchpost.org> wrote:

> Also, while doing that, using the guix binary 1.1.0 tarball from the website
> and
> issuing guix pull (ONLY), a lot of weird stuff is updated, like libx11,
> fribidi,
> graphviz, cairo, pixman, libjpeg-turbo, pango etc.  Is that really necessary?
> I guess it's because of the profile hooks, but still... why.

Well, all these come from 'graphviz'.

for target in libx11 fribidi graphviz cairo pixman libjpeg-turbo pango;
do
    printf "guix->$target: ";
    guix graph --path guix $target \
           |head -n2|tail -n1;
done

guix->libx11: graphviz@2.42.3
guix->fribidi: graphviz@2.42.3
guix->graphviz: graphviz@2.42.3
guix->cairo: graphviz@2.42.3
guix->pixman: graphviz@2.42.3
guix->libjpeg-turbo: graphviz@2.42.3
guix->pango: graphviz@2.42.3

And AFAIU, this 'graphivz' package is only used to produce the images
in the manual.  Similarly, the package 'texinfo' which pulls *a lot*
could be removed.

Well, maybe it is worth to maintain a "guix-minimal" package and to
inherit from this one to have the current 'guix' package.  WDYT?

> I want to stress that the profile I'm building contains only guix, the package
> manager.  Does that really need all those (presumably build-) dependencies?

I agree.

All the best,
simon