guix-devel

Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 16:26:52 +0200

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 15:32, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:
> zimoun 写道:
> > Maybe it is on my part but it returns #t and not #true.  So
> > somehow
> > you need to know that #t is also #true or fix the REPL to return
> > #true
> > and not #t.
>
> Right.  Making e.g. define-record-type ‘return #true’ would not
> change what's actually returned under the hood.

It is what I have tried to express [1]:  I am not convinced that
replacing in the Guix source by #true or #false instead of #t or #f
really simplifies and helps the newcomer.  Because all the internals
use #t or #f.  For example, there are often #t or #f in Backtrace
messages (random example [2]).  REPL is another example.  Somehow, you
have to know what #t and #f means, even if you are a newcomer.

The only remaining argument IMHO in favor of the change is cosmetic
(not newcomer friendly): it is more pleasant to read #false here and
there in the source code.  Well, I do not have a strong opinion,  I am
still doubtful.

> (Thank goodness!  That would be fun :-)

Maybe, but it is not a simple change, from what I understand. :-)

All the best,
simon

1: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00307.html>
2: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/43518>

ps:
my last bikeshed message on this topic. :-)